Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When are City Council Meetings held?

A. Regular meetings are held on the first and third Tuesday of each month. Check the calendar here.

Q. How do I contact a specific Department Head?

A. Call 863-763-3372 and select the appropriate department.

Q. How do I access public records?

A. The easiest method is online through our website using the Public Records Portal. Requests can also be made by contacting the City Clerk’s Office.

Q. Who do I contact about potholes, roadway issues, street or stop signs, or traffic light issues?

A. Public Works Department: 863-763-9791

Q. Who do I contact about a building permit?

A. General Services Department: 863-763-9821

Q. Who do I contact to renew my Business Tax Receipt (BTR)?

A. Finance Department: 863-763-9816

Q. Who do I contact about an overgrown yard or broken vehicle complaint?

A. Code Enforcement: 863-763-9795

Q. Who do I contact about vehicles speeding through my neighborhood?

A. City Police Department: 863-763-9787

Q. Who do I contact about garbage or yard waste questions?

A. Waste Management: 866-909-4458

Q. Where do I obtain a marriage license?

A. Okeechobee County Clerk of Court: 863-763-2131

Q. Where do I obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate?

A. Okeechobee County Health Department: 863-462-5819

Q. How can I verify the Future Land Use and /or Zoning of my property?

A. You can find the Future Land Use and/or Zoning of your property by either calling the Planning and Zoning Department and requesting the information or you can access the City’s website at and view the City’s Future Land Use and Zoning Maps. When calling you will need either the property’s address or Parcel ID number.

Q. What can I do in my zoning district?

A. Information of all permitted and special exception uses is available online by accessing the City’s website at and view Code of Ordinances and LDR’s or by calling the Planning and Zoning Department, 863-763-9824.

Q. Where can I find information on the setbacks, maximum lot coverage, and maximum height of structures?

A. These development criteria depend upon the zoning district. The zoning district can be found by following the steps outlined above under the question, how can I verify the future land use and/or zoning of my property. Then these requirements will be located under the Lot and Structure Requirements for that zoning district.

Q. Where can I find a copy of the zoning code?

A. The City of Okeechobee Code of Ordinances & LDR’s is located in Part II, Code of Ordinances, Chapter 90, Zoning.

Q. Can I split (subdivide) my land?

A. Whether or not a property is eligible for subdivision requires the analysis of several factors, including the zoning district, road frontage, total acreage, as well as a number of other items. Please call the Planning and Zoning Department 863-763-9824 to obtain additional information.

Q. I am considering rezoning, or changing the future land use of my property. What do I need to do?

A. Prior to filling out and submitting forms, it is recommended that you consult with the Planning and Zoning Department and schedule a meeting.

Q. I received a Notice of Public Hearing in the mail. What does this mean?

A. A courtesy notice is sent out to surrounding property owners within a 300-foot radius of a property that has applied to be rezoned, for a comprehensive plan amendment, for a special exception, for a variance or for an abandonment of a right of way. A summary description of the proposed application/petition can be found within the body of the notification. A public hearing date for the proposed change is included in your notification. You are invited to attend the hearing to oppose or support the proposed change. Your attendance is optional, but this is the most effective way to voice your opposition or support to the hearing body. Once filed, all application/petition information is public record and may be viewed by the public subject to public record laws.

Q. Where can I find application online? Can they also be downloaded and turned in online?

A. All applications are in PDF form and are available for download on the Planning and Zoning forms page. At the present time, all applications must be turned in by hand or mailed to:

By hand: City Hall, General Services Department, Room 101

By mail: City of Okeechobee

General Services Department

55 SE 3rd Avenue, Room 101

Okeechobee, FL 34974

Q. How do I register a complaint about a troublesome neighbor or nuisance property in my neighborhood?

A. Property complaints and issues are handles through the City of Okeechobee’s Code Enforcement Department: 863-763-9795.